A Gaston County Schools volunteer is described as a person who willingly undertakes a service of an assigned task performed within Gaston County Schools and under the approval of the school administration.
Volunteer categories include:
- Reading Soul Mate volunteer
- Junior Achievement volunteer
- Girls On The Run volunteer
- Let Me Run volunteer
- Clerical volunteer
- Classroom volunteer
- Special Projects volunteer
- Parent Advisory Council Officer, PTO Officer, Booster Club Officer and any other volunteer tasks designated by the school administration.
- To volunteer with Gaston County Schools please submit an on-line volunteer application at: www.gastonschoolvolunteers.com. When you register, you will create a personal user name and password for your profile. You will use this to update your information and log on to the volunteer website. Your profile information is only available to the volunteer coordinator (principal) at the school(s) you select as your preferred school(s), and the Director and Supervisor of Gaston County Schools Business Partnerships Office. (Following North Carolina law, we will not give your information to anyone else. We will be utilizing a secure web server with encrypted information identical to what many local banks use).
- A background check is required of all volunteers. A volunteer code of conduct is also included in the on- line application that outlines the expectations of volunteers. By initialing the appropriate box on the application, you acknowledge that you have read the Code of Conduct and agree to a national background check, as well as ongoing reviews. If needed additional references may be requested.
- Select the school or schools where you plan to volunteer and electronically submit the application.
- Upon successful completion of the background check, you will be contacted to schedule orientation with your school. You may plan to attend an orientation scheduled at the school where you will volunteer or a district level orientation held at a Central Office site.
- You only need to attend one session which lasts approximately 30 minutes. You will be advised by your school when this process is complete and given a date to begin your assignment.
Paper volunteer applications are no longer accepted. If you need access to a computer please contact the school where you plan to volunteer and you will receive assistance.
*Please note mentors require a one hour training session.