Spelling Homework: Sample ways to practice spelling words: (Choose a different one each night.) We will have spelling tests each Friday.
- Rainbow write your words. Choose 3 different colors to write with. Ex. Write your word in pink. Then trace it in red. Then trace again in blue. Instant rainbow!
- Write your words silly. Ex. Bubble letters, squiggly letters, etc.
- Copy words 3 times each.
- Use words in a sentence. Underline your spelling word.
- Do a practice spelling test. Have your parent or sibling call out your words. Check yourself. Write any words you missed 3 times each.
- Draw pictures and label with your spelling words. (Some words may need to be used in a sentence to draw a picture.
- Type words on the computer. Print out your list.
- Make flashcards. Use them to practice for Friday’s test.
- Clap out spelling of each word to parent or sibling.
- Write a story using as many spelling words as you can. Underline them.
Math Homework: At the beginning of a new topic, we will send home an introduction/game page. This is to keep at home for fun and practice. While going through our topics, daily sheets will come home as homework. Please help with the back page only. The first 3 pages should have been completed in class. We will have a test at the end of each topic.
Reading Homework: Beginning in February AR reading books will be sent home. Please spend at least 15 minutes listening to your child read. There will be an AR reading log in the bag to sign. Ask questions from the back of the reading log to check for comprehension. After reading the book 3 times, the students may use their book to take an AR test. Don’t forget to ask about the stories we read in class. We will have a comprehension test on Fridays covering the week’s story.
Writing Homework: We just started a writing journal at the beginning of the 3rd 9 week grading period. Each student should write at lease once a week. The journal should be turned in on Friday. I will return it each Monday. There are sample writing ideas and expectations for the 3rd and 4th 9 week grading period stapled to the front of the journal. Try to vary what you write about.