On behalf of the staff at Lowell Elementary School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2019-20 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school.
We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school.
Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. We seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
1) Teacher-led instructional support, usually in the classroom
2) Reading with children who need extra help
3) School-wide events
4) Student recognition events
5) Outreach and recruitment of parent and community volunteers
During the 2019-20 school year, Lowell Elementary School will continue using a Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS) system that our teachers redefined this summer.
PBIS is a combination of effective practices that:
- Teach and encourage respectful, responsible behaviors
- Use data continuously to support decision-making.
- Create an individualized, total school climate that supports staff and student behavior and encourages family engagement
The goal of PBIS is to build the foundation for schools to establish and sustain positive, preventative, and proactive teacher and student practices to maximize academic achievement and character development for all students. Classroom control is a prerequisite to classroom learning. Students who are well disciplined have greater achievement. Discipline and classroom control requires the joint effort on the student, teacher and parent/guardian.
The schoolwide behavior expectations for students, “PAWS,” are:
- Practice respect
- Always be kind
- Work responsibly
- Stay safe
During the first few weeks of school, teachers and students have worked together to learn how to apply PAWS in every aspect of daily school life as they discuss procedures and expectations. Parents, as you visit Lowell Elementary, be on the lookout for our ROAR charts and for more information from teachers and students on classroom and schoolwide incentives for meeting and exceeding behavior expectations. It is very important that you and your child are fully informed regarding standards related to appropriate behavior for a safe and productive school year.
The wonderful Lowell staff and I feel privileged to be a part of this school family. We thank you for your support and look forward to working with you!
LOWELL MISSION: We will serve all students by name and need in a safe and respectful environment.
LOWELL VISION: Through collaboration with the community, parents, and school, Lowell Elementary students will be lifelong learners.