Graduation 2021Ashbrook Bessemer City Cherryville Stuart W. Cramer East GastonForestview Gaston Early College Gaston County Virtual Academy HighlandHunter Huss North Gaston South Point Warlick Academy Webb Street
Our Outstanding Seniors
PROFILES: Outstanding Seniors
Each year, Gaston County Schools takes pride in recognizing Outstanding Seniors in the Class of 2021 (one from each high school). Click the links below for our profiles.
Be sure to check out The Gaston Gazette for the newspaper's Senior Spotlight series. Plus, the Belmont Banner-News is highlighting outstanding seniors from South Point High School, East Gaston High School, and Stuart W. Cramer High School while the Cherryville Eagle is featuring seniors from Cherryville High School.
We would like to thank our local newspapers for the positive attention they bring to the Class of 2021 in Gaston County Schools!
VIDEO: Star Teacher-Student Awards
INFO: Star Teacher-Student Awards
Each year, Gaston County Schools partners with The Gaston Gazette to sponsor the Star Teacher-Student Awards. It's a program that recognizes a Star Student in the senior class (one from each high school) and the teacher who had the greatest influence on the student's life.
Because of the pandemic, we were not able to conduct an in-person ceremony in April at the Schiele Museum; however, we produced this video for Channel 21 that highlights our Star Students in the Class of 2021 and their Star Teachers. The video will air at various times on Spectrum Cable Channel 21 during graduation season as we celebrate the Gaston County Schools Class of 2021.
We would like to thank The Gaston Gazette for its continued sponsorship of this important recognition program.
Here is a look at some of the outstanding achievements for the Gaston County Schools Class of 2021.
▪ The following seniors were nominated for the U.S. Presidential Scholar in Career and Technical Education recognition: Payton Boone, Bessemer City; Lindsey Lingerfelt, Cherryville; Trevyanna Williams, East Gaston; Valerie Farfan, Forestview; and Octavia Smith, Hunter Huss.
▪ Cherryville senior Ben Hayes was named a “Campus Captain Award” winner. The recognition is presented by the N.C. High School Athletic Association.
▪ Ashbrook senior Sophi Jolley received the Wayne F. Shovelin Scholarship from the CaroMont Health Foundation. The scholarship is valued at $80,000.
▪ Four students were named finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program: Sydney Lester and Grace Nehring, South Point; Jacob Wootton, Stuart W. Cramer, and Marshall Pearson, Highland.
▪ The following students received the Albert G. Myers Scholarship: Noah Abernethy, Cherryville; Payton Boone, Bessemer City; Matthew Dalton, South Point; Jamey Lindsay, Ashbrook; Aubrey Parker, North Gaston; and Lanadia Adams, Samiyah Mason, and Walter Williams, Hunter Huss.
▪ Stuart W. Cramer senior Molly Matthews earned “Best in Show” award in the annual “Through An Artist’s Eyes” exhibit. She also was chosen as a nominee for best actress in the Blumey Awards, a program that recognizes students in the Charlotte region for outstanding achievement in theater arts.
▪ Bessemer City senior T’Kia Moore earned the Chancellor’s Scholarship from Appalachian State University. This is a highly-competitive, full-tuition scholarship, and only 10 students were chosen from a pool of 14,000 applicants.
▪ East Gaston senior Callie Payne received a $110,000 scholarship to attend Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk.
▪ Hunter Huss student Dontavius Nash signed a national letter of intent to play football at UNC-Chapel Hill, and student Nick Sharpe signed a national letter of intent to play football at Wake Forest University.
▪ Forestview senior Foster Rouse earned the prestigious rank of Eagle Scout. For his project, he adapted toys for children with special needs and donated them to the Gaston County Schools Exceptional Children Department.
▪ Gaston Early College student Najira Davis was named a Lenoir-Rhyne University Scholar and received a scholarship valued at $98,000 over four years. Student Autumn Kirby received a Lenoir-Rhyne Scholars scholarship valued at $66,000.
▪ South Point senior Connor Corcoran is the recipient of the Lester L. Carpenter Scholarship. He plans to attend Appalachian State University.
▪ Eight seniors won the People Helping People Scholarship presented by the State Employees Credit Union Foundation: MaKayla Boyd, East Gaston; Mackenzie Fallin, Ashbrook; Maggie Ferguson, Highland; Isaak Gibson, North Gaston; Regan Lavinder, Stuart W. Cramer; Andrew Nanney, Forestview; Hailey Rodden, South Point; Lakota “Wyatt” Wilson, Cherryville.
▪ Forestview senior Anie Sery received the George B. King, Jr. Civil Engineering Scholarship from UNC-Charlotte.
▪ South Point senior Peter Targonski was named one of 100 finalists for the Goodnight Scholars Program at N.C. State University.
▪ Gaston Early College student Chloe Yurick was accepted to attend Seton Hall University and received a $75,000 scholarship.
▪ The following students received the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Good Citizen Award: Nicole Tafur-Erazo, Ashbrook; T’Kia Moore, Bessemer City; Savannah Mercer, Gaston Early College; Ann Russell, Highland; and Ailysa Lee, Hunter Huss.