- Bessemer City High School
‘STAND UP Gaston’ recognizes 25 students
‘STAND UP Gaston’ program recognizes 25 middle school and high school students
What better way to end the school year than to receive a $50 gift card from Dick’s Sporting Goods. That is what happened to 25 students in Gaston County Schools as a result of their outstanding participation in the ‘STAND UP Gaston’ character education and anti-bullying program.
One student was chosen from each middle school and high school to be recognized for their strong growth in character traits, accomplishing goals, and meeting the ideals of ‘STAND UP Gaston,’ which is a partnership with Shaun Golden’s ‘Golden Opportunity’ program.
Principals and guidance counselors worked together to select students who went above and beyond expectations in the classroom and in the way they treated others outside the classroom. The students showed kindness and compassion, which are important components of the program.
The last week of school in June, the students gathered at Dick’s Sporting Goods in Gastonia for a recognition ceremony and to cash in their $50 gift card.
Here is a list of the 25 students recognized at the ceremony:
- Annalise Froehlich, Ashbrook High School
- Levi Hoyle, Belmont Middle School
- Cheyanne Ferrell, Bessemer City High School
- Emily Fowler, Bessemer City Middle School
- Hailey Prince, Cherryville High School
- Adept Nguyen, Cramerton Middle School
- Rebecca Watts, East Gaston High School
- Kevin Walters, Forestview High School
- Renee Cunningham, Gaston Early College High School
- Tatiana Ortiz, Grier Middle School
- Nicholas Nguyen, Highland School of Technology
- Takiya Glenn, Holbrook Middle School
- Kayla Mackenzie Mulwee, Hunter Huss High School
- Kaitlyn Campbell, John Chavis Middle School
- Madison Curry, Mount Holly Middle School
- Carmela Waters, North Gaston High School
- Wyatt Olgers, South Point High School
- Jocelyn Pressley, Southwest Middle School
- Eli Johnson, Stanley Middle School
- Zykevise Gamble, Stuart W. Cramer High School
- Cameron Suits, W.C. Friday Middle School
- Nathan Jordan, Warlick Academy
- Tyliyah Montgomery, Warlick Academy
- Shaniyah Adams, Webb Street School
- Luz Mendez-Perez, York Chester Middle School
Gaston County Schools and the Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services developed the ‘STAND UP Gaston’ program in 2017. It promotes healthy relationships, talking and listening, accepting differences, never tolerating violence and abuse, helping others, and coming together to make a change.
Shaun Golden, a former college basketball player for the University of Georgia, established the ‘Golden Opportunity’ program as a way to spread the importance of anti-bullying and self-empowerment to middle school and high school students across the country. He has conducted school assembly programs as part of ‘STAND UP Gaston.’
Click below to hear from Shaun Golden about the ‘STAND UP Gaston’ program.