- Highland School of Technology
School teams compete during annual robotics event
School teams win awards during annual “RoboGaston” competition
The Belmont Central Elementary “Astro Eagles” and Belmont Middle School “Order of Infinity” teams took overall top honors in the eighth annual Gaston County Schools robotics competition held on Saturday, March 2 at Forestview High School. The teams from Bessemer City Central Elementary and Bessemer City Middle School were the overall runners-up.
This year’s theme was “Into Orbit,” which commemorated the 50th anniversary of the first humans landing on the moon. Students were challenged to solve physical or social problems that people faced during long periods of space exploration.
The popular competition known as “RoboGaston” gives students an opportunity to earn points in several categories, including robot performance, teamwork challenges, and research project presentations. In addition to declaring overall champions and runners-up for the middle and elementary school teams, awards were given to teams for teamwork, project presentation, and robot performance.
Here is a list of winning teams from “RoboGaston” 2019:
▪ Elementary Champion: Belmont Central Elementary (Astro Eagles)
▪ Elementary School Runner-Up: Bessemer City Central Elementary (Astro Bees)
▪ Elementary First Place Robot Performance: Tryon Elementary (Tryon Stars)
▪ Elementary Second Place Robot Performance: W.B. Beam Intermediate (Beam Us Up)
▪ Elementary First Place Project Presentation: Woodhill Elementary (RoboHornets)
▪ Elementary Second Place Project Presentation: North Belmont Elementary (Galaxy Troopers)
▪ Elementary First Place Teamwork: W.A. Bess Elementary (Moon Doggies)
▪ Elementary Second Place Teamwork: Sherwood Elementary (Space Squad)
▪ Overall Spirit Award: Gardner Park Elementary (Brain Bots)
▪ Overall Gracious Professionalism Award: Pinewood Elementary (Pricklenauts)
▪ Middle School Champion: Belmont Middle (Order of Infinity)
▪ Middle School Runner-Up: Bessemer City Middle (Roaring Robotics Tigers)
▪ First Place Robot Performance: Chavis Middle (Wolvertrons)
▪ First Place Project Presentation: Holbrook Middle (Team White)
▪ First Place Teamwork: Grier Middle (Cyber Knights)
▪ Overall Judges Award: Southwest Middle (Roborunners)