- Gaston County Schools
School Choice Information Session is February 25
February 8, 2019
Contact: Todd Hagans
Chief Communications Officer
Office: (704) 866-6118
Cell: (704) 718-0279
Learn more about school choice at upcoming information session
Gaston County Schools is introducing 13 new choice programs for the 2019-2020 year
Gastonia, N.C. – Gaston County Schools is hosting an information session on Monday, February 25 to give students and parents an opportunity to learn about the district’s school choice programs for the 2019-2020 academic year.
The School Choice Information Session will be held from 5:30 until 7:30 p.m. in the Myers Center at Gaston College, Dallas. The public is invited. Students and parents may drop in to visit the school booths/tables, meet the principals and other school representatives, and get information about each program.
Gaston County Schools is introducing choice programs at 13 schools for 2019-2020. The programs are designed to offer students a dynamic learning experience in six Academy areas: Career, Collegiate Prep, Health Sciences, Leadership, Public Service, and Technology and Industrial Engineering.
The 13 Academy programs are:
▪ Career Academy @ Southwest Middle School
▪ Career Academy @ York Chester Middle School
▪ Career Academy @ Hunter Huss High School
▪ Collegiate Prep Academy @ Forestview High School
▪ Gifted and Talented Academy (Collegiate Prep) at Cramerton Middle School
▪ Health Sciences Academy @ East Gaston High School
▪ Leadership Academy @ Costner Elementary School
▪ Leadership Academy @ W.C. Friday Middle School
▪ Leadership Academy @ North Gaston High School
▪ Public Service Academy @ John Chavis Middle School
▪ Public Service Academy @ Cherryville High School
▪ Technology and Industrial Engineering Academy @ Bessemer City Middle School
▪ Technology and Industrial Engineering Academy @ Bessemer City High School
Gaston County Schools already has six successful school choice/magnet school programs. They are:
▪ Gaston Early College High School
▪ Highland School of Technology
▪ STEAM Academy @ Stanley Middle School
▪ Gaston County Virtual Academy
▪ Gifted and Talented Academy @ Pleasant Ridge Elementary School
▪ Hawks Nest STEAM Academy
When the new programs are in place next school year, the number of choice options in Gaston County Schools will more than triple, going from six to 19.
“It is an exciting time for Gaston County Schools as we expand our school choice options. We know that our students, parents, and community want more school choice programs – this is why we are introducing the new Academy programs at 13 schools,” stated Superintendent of Schools W. Jeffrey Booker. “We’ve had great success with our existing school choice programs, and we look forward to seeing how our Academy programs will help students to thrive and gain an advantage as they prepare now for life beyond graduation.”
The school choice programs are open to students who live in Gaston County and will be in kindergarten, sixth grade, or ninth grade next year. Students who currently attend a private school, charter school, or home school are encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted online until 5:00 p.m. on February 28.
Booker continued, “As students and parents consider school options for next year, we hope they will take a close look at what we have to offer in Gaston County Schools. We believe that our schools will provide students with an outstanding education that affords many opportunities for discovery, growth, achievement, and success.”
Click here for our School Choice information sheet.