Take the My Energy Kit Challenge
Our school is taking the My Energy Kit Challenge and has a goal to save at least 20,000 kilowatt-hours of energy this school year. We’ll reach this goal when at least 100 families at our school sign up for a FREE Energy Kit and use it to make their homes energy-efficient. These FREE kits from Duke Energy contain items like LED bulbs, faucet aerators, and other useful gadgets that can make a big difference toward saving energy at home. If we can meet the challenge, our school will automatically win $250. Take the My Energy Kit Challenge and sign up for your FREE kit at MyEnergyKit.org or call 1-855-386-9548.
Gaston County Public Library, Gaston Arts Council, Gaston County Schools and the Friends of the Gaston County Public Library have joined together to bring you phenomenal, FREE storytelling experiences for all ages.
Gaston Story Spin brings together great stories with great storytellers in venues near you throughout the county. Each experience will feature ways for you and your family to be a part of the storytelling, using activities ranging from drawing to interactive dialogue.
Join in the fun at the following Gaston Story Spin locations:
- Kickoff Spin: Saturday, November 19, 2:00 pm, Main Library (1555 E. Garrison Blvd., Gastonia, NC)
- Mt. Holly Spin: Monday, December 5, 6:00 pm, Mt. Holly Branch Library (245 W. Catawba Ave., Mt. Holly, NC)
- Dallas Spin: Thursday, February 9, 6:00 pm, Dallas Branch Library (105 S. Holland St., NC 28034)
- Loray Mill Spin: Thursday, February 16, 6:00 pm, Alfred C. Kessell History Center (Loray Mill—300 S. Firestone St., Gastonia, NC 28053)
- Ferguson Spin: Thursday, February 23, 6:00 pm, Ferguson Branch Library (Erwin Center—913 N. Pryor St., Gastonia, NC 28052)
- Bessemer City Spin: Monday, March 6, 6:00 pm, Bessemer City Branch Library (207 N. Twelfth St., Bessemer City, NC 28016)
- Belmont Spin: Thursday, March 23, 6:00 pm, Belmont Branch Library (125 N. Central Ave., Belmont, NC 28012)
- Cherryville Spin: Tuesday, March 28, 6:00 pm, Cherryville Branch Library (605 E. Main St., Cherryville, NC 28021)
- Union Road Spin: Monday, April 3, 6:00 pm, Union Road Branch Library (5800 Union Rd., Gastonia, NC 28056
- TECH@Lowell Spin: Tuesday, April 4, 6:00 pm, TECH@LOWELL (Formerly Lowell Branch Library—203 McAdenville Rd., Lowell, NC 28098)
- Stanley Spin: Tuesday, April 25, 6:00 pm, Stanley Branch Library (205 N. Peterson st., Stanley, NC 28164)
Catawba Heights Elementary and Stanley Middle School took overall top honors in the sixth annual Gaston County Schools robotics competition held Saturday, March 11 at Forestview High School. The two schools, along with six others that had the top scores among all participating teams, will represent Gaston County in the western regional robotics competition on April 29.
Walls are going up and the new Stanley Middle School is taking shape. It has been seven months since the groundbreaking ceremony when all that could be seen on the school’s former football field were mounds of dirt and construction equipment. Now, curious passersby can see where the school will be located and envision a modern facility that should be ready for use during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Gaston County Schools won 34 awards in the highly-competitive Mid-Carolina Regional Scholastic Art and Writing Awards program. The awards included 12 Gold Key, 11 Silver Key, and 11 honorable mentions. “I am extremely proud of our students’ achievements,” said Forestview High School art teacher Travis Johnson. “To receive a Gold Key in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards means that you are producing some of the best quality work in the state.”
Three days a week, teachers at Sherwood Elementary become students for the afternoon so they can learn basic grammar, spelling, and pronunciation. In Spanish, that is. The school’s ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher Edgar Coronado is offering Spanish lessons to any interested teachers. The classes are giving teachers new ways to communicate with their students, and perhaps more important, with their students’ parents.
Kindergarten and pre-kindergarten registration for the 2017-2018 school year will be held in May at the former Forest Heights Elementary School, #1 Learning Place, Gastonia. Registration will take place at Forest Heights for all elementary schools during the following times: Saturday, May 6 from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. and Monday, May 8 through Friday, May 12 from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. each day. For more information, call (704) 810-7284.
The annual College and Career Expo presented by Gaston County Schools will be held Saturday, April 1 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. at Gaston College in the Lena Sue Beam Building in Dallas. Middle and high school students and their parents are encouraged to attend to meet with college representatives and business leaders and participate in information sessions. The event is free. Click here to visit our College Expo webpage for information.
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM National Board Certified Teacher Reception
8:30 AM - 9:00 AM Volunteer Orientation Training Session (at Central Office)
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM Annual Transition Workshop
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Spring Book Fair