- Gardner Park Elementary School
Updates on the coronavirus and reopening of schools
■ Visit these websites for information about the coronavirus
▪ Gaston County Government/Health and Human Services: www.gastongov.com/coronavirus
▪ N.C. Department of Health and Human Services: www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-response-north-carolina
▪ Center for Disease Control (CDC): www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
■ Information Hotline for Gaston County
If you have questions about the coronavirus, you may call the information hotline for Gaston County: (704) 862-5303. Click here for more information about the hotline.
■ Latest Update for Parents and Employees (updated on July 9)
▪ PLANNING FOR 2020-2021 YEAR: Planning for the 2020-2021 academic year is taking place now with our central-level administrators, school-level administrators, and others working together to ensure a safe return to school in August.
The first day of school for students in Gaston County is Monday, August 17. Click here to view the 2020-2021 school calendar.
Recently, the N.C. State Board of Education and the N.C. Department of Public Instruction released a comprehensive document titled “Lighting Our Way Forward: North Carolina’s Guidebook for Reopening Public Schools.” This document is being used by all 115 school districts to develop a plan for school reopening.
Click here to view the “Lighting Our Way Forward: North Carolina’s Guidebook for Reopening Public Schools” document.
Click here to read the Department of Public Instruction’s news release about the reopening of public schools.
Additionally, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services has developed guidance for public schools. Click here to view the "Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit (K-12)" document from NCDHHS.
In Gaston County, we are using the “Lighting Our Way Forward” document to develop our reopening plan as well as the "Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit." A key component to our reopening plan is a forthcoming announcement from the state about how public schools will operate based on the current status of the coronavirus pandemic. Once our plan is complete, it will be presented to the Board of Education and shared with students, parents, employees, and the community.
On Monday, July 6, the Gaston County Board of Education received an update on the reopening of schools. Click here to watch the Board of Education presentation.
We expect Governor Cooper to make an announcement sometime during the week of July 13 about the reopening of schools.
▪ HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS: The start of workouts for our high school fall sports teams was changed from Monday, July 6 to Monday, July 20. Based on current COVID-19 data and the extension of phase two restrictions until July 17, it is in the best interest of our student-athletes, coaches, and others involved in our sports program to delay the start of workouts. Our school athletic directors/coaches will keep student-athletes and their parents updated on any additional information or changes.