Gaston Early College's Class of 2028
To attend Gaston Early College High School (GECHS) students must be chosen through a random lottery that happens each year. Being chosen during the lottery places the student on a conditional acceptance list.*Lottery Dates:
- Application materials will be available online January 22, 2023.
- Applications are due March 18, 2023. All applications must be submitted online.
- Lottery is April 14 and is conducted by Scribbles. Selected students will be notified via Scribbles.
Lottery Application Materials - All applications must be submitted by March 18, 2023.
- THE APPLICATION PROCESS opens on January 22, 2023.
- Complete the Application Online.
- Acceptance Numbers: The following numbers are accepted from each high school's feeder area.
- Ashbrook - 8
- Bessemer City - 4
- Cherryville - 3
- East Gaston - 5
- Forestview - 7
- HunterHuss - 7
- North Gaston - 7
- South Point - 6
- Stuart Cramer - 7
All students in the class of 2028 must meet the following criteria to be included in the lottery process:
Requirements to Apply:
Students must meet these criteria to be included in the initial phase of the lottery process:
Student and parent/legal guardian must reside in Gaston County.
7th grade Reading EOG scores at Level III/IV/V.
7th grade Math EOG scores at Level III/IV/V.
7th grade overall “C” or 70 minimum average on final report card.
7th grade good standing in conduct.
7th grade good standing in attendance (medical exceptions are considered).
- 8th grade overall "C" or 70 minimum average on first semester report card.
- 8th Grade good standing in attendance based upon first semester.
Application (submitted) online by March 18, 2023.
**Non-Gaston County Schools applicants must submit the following:
7th grade final report card and 7th grade standardized test scores administered at the applicant’s school.
8th grade first semester report card and attendance records.
For acceptance into the lottery, applicants must also complete an 8th grade iReady Diagnostic Assessment (Middle-of-Year Tests) in Reading and Math and be proficient at a “Early Grade Level” or higher score (this assessment will be given at the Gaston County Schools Office of Student Assignment)
Complete and return the Discipline Information Request to Gaston Early College High School prior to March 18, 2022.
Requirements for Admission:
Students must meet these criteria to receive final acceptance or to remain on the waiting list:
▪ Student and parent/legal guardian must maintain residency in Gaston County.
▪ 8th grade Math EOG at Level III/IV/V or 8th grade Math I EOC at Level III/IV/V.
▪ 8th grade Reading EOG at Level III/IV/V.
▪ 8th grade overall “C” or 70 minimum average.
▪ Good standing in conduct for 8th grade.
▪ Good Standing in Attendance for 8th grade (medical exceptions are considered).
▪ **Non-Gaston County Schools applicants must submit the 8th grade final report card and 8th grade standardized test scores administered at the applicant’s school.
Applicants should provide proof of nationally standardized achievement tests administered annually to assess grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics.
If such standardized achievement test results are unavailable, applicants must make arrangements with the desired choice school to take a released NC EOG for reading and math assessment at the 8th grade level designed to assess the applicant’s academic qualifications.
Requirements for Continued Enrollment
- Student and parent/legal guardian must maintain residency in Gaston County.
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
- Maintain good conduct.
- Maintain at least 94% attendance (medical exceptions are considered).