- W.B. Beam Intermediate School
Information about the reopening of schools
Board of Education approves "Plan B" for reopening of schools
On Monday, July 20, the Board of Education approved a reopening plan for our schools. The plan is in accordance with “Plan B” that has been outlined by the state and provides for in-person instruction for students on a part-time basis.
Students will be divided into groups. One group will attend school on Monday and Tuesday, and the other group will attend school on Thursday and Friday. All students will engage in remote learning at home on Wednesday and on the weekdays when they are not at school.
Additionally, parents who want their child in full-time remote learning will have that option through the Gaston Virtual Academy.
Parents/students and employees will be receiving specific information from their school about the reopening of schools.
Click here to watch the Board of Education presentation.
Click here for our Plan B schedule graphic and our “Plan B at a Glance” chart.
■ Latest Update for Parents and Employees
▪ PLANNING FOR 2020-2021 YEAR: Planning for the 2020-2021 academic year is taking place now with our central-level administrators, school-level administrators, and others working together to ensure a safe return to school.
▪ FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: The first day of school for students in Gaston County is Monday, August 17. Click here to view the 2020-2021 school calendar.
▪ FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT: Click here to read Superintendent Booker's latest message for parents and employees with information about the reopening of schools.
▪ RESOURCES: The N.C. State Board of Education and the N.C. Department of Public Instruction as well as the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services have released information about the reopening of schools.
Click here for the “Lighting Our Way Forward: North Carolina’s Guidebook for Reopening Public Schools” document.
Click here for the "Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit (K-12)" document. Click here for the document in Spanish.
Click here for the "Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit (K-12)" Frequently Asked Questions. Click here for the document in Spanish.
Click here for the "Reference Guide for Suspected, Presumptive, or Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 (K-12)" document.
▪ HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS: The N.C. High School Athletic Association has delayed the start of the fall sports season until September 1. The start of workouts/practice for our high school fall sports teams has been delayed until August 10. Our school athletic directors/coaches will keep student-athletes and their parents updated on any additional information or changes.
■ Visit these websites for information about the coronavirus
▪ Gaston County Government/Health and Human Services: www.gastongov.com/coronavirus
▪ N.C. Department of Health and Human Services: www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-response-north-carolina
▪ Center for Disease Control (CDC): www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
■ Coronavirus information hotline for Gaston County
If you have questions about the coronavirus, you may call the information hotline for Gaston County: (704) 862-5303. Click here for more information about the hotline.