School counselors provide a comprehensive school counseling program that improves student achievement and enhances the academic, career and personal/social development of all students. The comprehensive school counseling program is delivered through classroom lessons, individual student planning sessions, and individual and group counseling. School counselors collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators and other school staff to promote student success. School counselors also provide leadership and advocacy to promote equity and access to opportunities and rigorous educational experiences for all students.
HST COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
Highland School of Technology has two School Counselors who are available to all students, teachers, and parents. Upon entering Highland students are assigned a School Counselor based on their selected pathway.
To maximize the potential of all our students, GCS counselors will coordinate and implement a comprehensive school counseling program which adheres to the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model and the North Carolina Guidance Essential Standards.
Meeting the needs of our students, parents, staff, and community is our primary focus. Accentuating the importance of good citizenship and college/career readiness, we commit to assisting every student in becoming a 21st Century, lifelong learner.
Professional School Counselors will strive to meet the needs of all students within our school community. We foster high achievement, good attendance, appropriate behavior, & safe and healthy choices for all students. A school counseling program uses a variety of delivery methods, which may include classroom guidance, small group meetings, and individualized student counseling. Our goals include the cognitive, career, and socio-emotional development of every student. We will use data and collaborate with our students, parents, staff, and community to continually improve our counseling program.
- All students have diverse, individual abilities and are capable of learning with support from family, community, and educators.
- All students have the right to be treated with dignity and respect and learn in a safe, supportive environment.
- An ideal school counseling program:
- Is comprehensive in scope
- Reaches every student
- Advocates for all students
- Is proactive in design and developmental in nature
- Is an integral part of a total educational program for student success as globally competitive learners
- Is facilitated by a credentialed school counselor following ethical professional guidelines
- Is conducted in collaboration with students and other educators using available community resources
- Uses data to drive program decisions
Business & Legal StudiesMr. Mathieu Chapman
Manufacturing & Engineering
Ms. Christy Kiser