Bus transportation is provided to elementary, middle and high school students living at least a mile and a half from their assigned school. All bus drivers must be 18 years or older and pass a bus driver training program designated by the N.C. Division of Highways. Bus drivers are trained and licensed by the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.
The Gaston County Schools Transportation Department operates one of the safest school bus fleets in the state. The department was chosen as one of the Top Ten School Bus Fleets in the country, and we were the first school system in the United States to produce its own biodiesel fuel.
Questions concerning your child's bus schedule should be directed to the school principal.
School Bus Safety Tips
School bus safety is a top priority with Gaston County Schools. In order to make the bus transportation system as safe as possible, parents should remind children of the following conduct and bus safety rules:
- Always obey your bus driver.
- Observe good conduct. Always talk quietly on the bus. Never scream.
- Be at your bus stop on time.
- Help keep the bus clean.
- Stay off the street when waiting for the bus.
- Stay in your seat until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Don't play with the emergency door.
- Leave the bus only at the front of the door except in case of an emergency.
- Always keep hands, arms and head inside the bus.
- Never use drugs, tobacco, alcohol or profane language on the bus.
- Always use the handrail to get on and off the bus.
- Walk on the left side of the road facing traffic when going to the bus stop. Always stay well off the road.
- When approaching or leaving your bus, if you must cross the street, always cross in front of the bus where the driver can see you. Always make sure the bus has stopped and the stop signal is extended.
- Always occupy the seat assigned by the driver or principal.
Citizens, Please Be Cautious
As the new school year begins, we ask all citizens of Gaston County to watch out for children who ride the bus. During the morning and afternoon hours when the yellow buses are transporting children to and from school, pay close attention to children getting on and off the bus. Always be extra cautious when approaching a yellow school bus. After all, we do transport daily the most valuable and precious resource in the world - our children.