Welcome to Gaston County Schools and the Student Assignment webpage.Our office is a part of the Student Support Services Department. The goal of the Student Assignment Office is to develop a relationship with students and parents from the beginning of the enrollment process. Our staff creates a welcoming environment for families who are new to our community as well as families whose students have extenuating circumstances or special needs.
Our office staff is pleased to serve parents wishing to enroll their child in Gaston County Schools. To enroll a student, you must be the biological parent or court-ordered guardian. You must also bring:
- Proof of age/birthdate/proof of parentage (birth certificate)
- Immunization record and health assessement for first time enrollment in North Carolina public schools
- Parent/legal guardian's valid photo ID (driver license, state identification, passport, or military ID)
- Withdrawal from previous school (middle and high school)
- TWO (2) proofs of current address received within the last 30 days to verify residence (power, gas, water, cable, landline phone bills and / or lease or mortgage records).
* If the parents(s) or court-ordered guardian reside with another person who is the homeowner/lessee, you will need to meet together (the parent and the homeowner) with the Student Assignment Office staff to complete a Residency Affidavit document. The homeowner/lessee will need to provide two proofs of address.
A student enrolling in the sixth grade or higher who does not currently attend a Gaston County school will need to come to the Student Assignment Office to complete a Discipline Status Document.
Students in Group Homes and Foster Homes
It is our pleasure to serve students living in foster homes and group homes. The legal guardian and the foster parent or group home representative must be present during the registration process. The following documentation is needed for initial enrollment and for changing school assignment:
- Guardianship/parental placement form
- Person Centered Plan
- Individualized Education Plan
- Previous school withdrawal and transcript
- Discipline information
- Special needs information
Transfers for the 2019-2020 upcoming school year were held January 28, 2019 through February 28, 2019. Families that applied for a transfer will receive notification letters immediately following. No late applications will be accepted.
An intra-district transfer is when parents/guardians wish to register or enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school in their attendance area within their district.
Foreign Exchange Programs
All foreign exchange programs in Gaston County Schools must have prior approval from the Student Assignment Office to enroll in our school system. Placement in schools with host families must occur by July 15 for the student to be cleared for enrollment. Schools will have no more than two foreign exchange students each year. The application for enrollment can be found in our policy.