The mission of the Gaston County Schools' Department for Exceptional Children is to ensure that children and youth with disabilities develop educationally, socially, emotionally, and vocationally through the provision of a free, appropriate education and related services in the least restrictive environment.
Current DEC initiatives include:
- Implementation of a NC State Improvement Project Reading Grant
- Assistive Technology Demonstration/Loan Center
- Least Restrictive Environment Study
- Disproportionality Study
- Child Find and Pre-Referral Strategies (ACES & AIMS)
- Continuous Improvement Monitoring System- Phase III
- Gaston County Schools is listed as a reference on the Crisis Prevention Institute's web site due to our exemplary Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training program.
to visit the N.C. Department of Public Instruction Exceptional Children website.