NCDPI Exceptional Children Division Child Find
What is Project Child Find?
An effort coordinated by your local school system and the Exceptional Children Division, State Department of Public Instruction to:
- Locate and identify children and youth ages birth through 21 with disabilities who are in need of special education services and related services.
- Inform parents and/or guardians of the services available from their local school system and other state and community agencies.
Who are the Children?
Children and youth who have been diagnosed or are suspected to have intellectual, physical, or emotional disabilities, are unable to benefit from a regular school program without special assistance.
What Help is Available?
- A complete evaluation and, if appropriate,
- An Individualized Education Program for children with a disability beginning at age three,
- An Individual Family Services Plan for each child with a disability birth through 2, or
- A referral to other agencies when needed
For further information regarding Child Find please contact GCS DEC 704-866-6160.