VIDEO: ‘Do the Right Thing’ award winners honored
PHOTOS: ‘Do the Right Thing’ award winners honored
Gaston County Schools recognizes “Do the Right Thing” award winners
Gaston County Schools honored the students who were chosen as the ‘Do the Right Thing’ award winners for the 2022-2023 academic year. The recognition took place during an afternoon ceremony on Thursday, April 27 at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden.
The ‘Do the Right Thing’ recognition program is sponsored by The Gaston Gazette. Each month from October through April, four students – two elementary school students, a middle school student, and a high school student – were featured in The Gazette and on the Gaston County Schools website and Facebook page as well as Spectrum Channel 21, which is the Education Station for Gaston County Schools.
‘Do the Right Thing’ is a long-standing program for Gaston County Schools and The Gaston Gazette that brings attention to students who distinguish themselves by their positive actions, whether big or small. The students “do the right thing” by exhibiting kindness, responsibility, and good character and striving to make a difference in the lives of others without expecting anything in return.
In addition to being recognized in front of the audience and receiving a ‘Do the Right Thing’ plaque, each student received three tickets to attend a Gastonia Honey Hunters baseball game this summer. The baseball tickets were sponsored by CaroMont Health.
Below is a list of the award winners for the 2022-2023 academic year:
October ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Journey Jones, Bessemer City Primary
- Darluh Mattaldi, Kiser Elementary
- Valentina Gomez, Cramerton Middle
- Jack Hayes, South Point High
November ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Cora Sisk, Costner Elementary
- Brynn Craig, Rankin Elementary
- Christian Burnett, W.C. Friday Middle
- MJ Ferguson, Stuart W. Cramer High
December ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Sam Stoner, Page Primary
- Tristan Cooper, Gaston Virtual Academy
- Neva’h Bell, Grier Middle
- Nicole Valverde Cordero, North Gaston High
January ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Jesiah Maynor, Gardner Park Elementary
- Beverly Smith-Burney, Lingerfeldt Elementary
- Jazmyn Reid, Holbrook Middle
- Joseph Armitage, Hunter Huss High
February ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Kaitlyn Dockery, W.A. Bess Elementary
- LaDarrius Pratt, Lowell Elementary
- Azriel Adams, Southwest Middle
- Autumn Queen, Gaston Early College of Medical Sciences
March ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Josiah Sutton, Brookside Elementary
- Jayla Matthews, Pinewood Elementary
- Jackson Kuveikis, Mount Holly Middle
- Yara Rodriguez Enriquez, East Gaston High
April ‘Do the Right Thing’ winners
- Jaxon Rhinehart, Springfield Elementary
- Hayden Martin, Chapel Grove Elementary
- Sanaa’ya Ratchford, Bessemer City Middle
- Andrew Ferrell, Forestview High
The ceremony was recorded, and the video will air on Channel 21 the week of May 8-14 at 11:00 a.m., 7:00 p.m., and 11:00 p.m. It will air at other times this summer and will be available on the Gaston County Schools website and YouTube channel.
Congratulations to our ‘Do the Right Thing’ award winners for 2022-2023!