Welcome to Gaston County Schools and the Student Assignment webpage.Our office is a part of the Student Support Services Department. The goal of the Student Assignment Office is to develop a relationship with students and parents from the beginning of the enrollment process. Our staff creates a welcoming environment for families who are new to our community as well as families whose students have extenuating circumstances or special needs.
Student AssignmentOur office staff is pleased to serve parents wishing to enroll their child in Gaston County Schools. To enroll a student, you must be the biological parent or court-ordered guardian. You must also bring:
- Student birth certificate and, if applicable, the court order
- Immunization/shot records
- Parent/legal guardian's valid photo ID (driver license, state identification, passport, or military ID)
- Withdrawal from previous school (middle and high school)
- TWO (2) proofs of your address to verify residence (power, gas, water, cable, landline telephone, lease or mortgage bill; must be current bill issued within 30 days).
* If the parents(s) or court-ordered guardian reside with another person who is the homeowner/lessee, you will need to meet together (the parent and the homeowner) with the Student Assignment Office staff to complete a Residency Affidavit document. The homeowner/lessee will need to provide two proofs of address.
A student enrolling in the sixth grade or higher who does not currently attend a Gaston County school will need to come to the Student Assignment Office to complete a Discipline Status Document.
Students in Group Homes and Foster HomesIt is our pleasure to serve students living in foster homes and group homes. The legal guardian and the foster parent or group home representative must be present during the registration process. The following documentation is needed for initial enrollment and for changing school assignment:
- Guardianship/parental placement form
- Person Centered Plan
- Individualized Education Plan
- Previous school withdrawal and transcript
- Discipline information
- Special needs information
An intra-district transfer is when parents/guardians wish to register or enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school in their attendance area within their district.
Transfers for the 2017-2018 upcoming school year are open for request from April 1 until May 15. The applications are reviewed and the decision letters are mailed out to the parent or legal guardian by June 1. There is no appeal to a school that is at or above capacity.Late applications for transfer will only be considered by the Student Assignment Office under extenuating circumstances. Such circumstances include an unanticipated and significant change in the student’s status occurring after May 15 or circumstances outside the parent’s or legal guardian’s control that prevented the parent/guardian from meeting the application deadline (being unaware of the deadline is not considered an extenuating circumstance).Foreign Exchange ProgramsAll foreign exchange programs in Gaston County Schools must have prior approval from the Student Assignment Office to enroll in our school system. Placement in schools with host families must occur by July 15 for the student to be cleared for enrollment. Schools will have no more than two foreign exchange students each year. The application for enrollment can be found in our policy.