Mental Health Services

  • Welcome to the Gaston County Schools Mental Health Services webpage! The mental health services area within Student Support Services has grown significantly over the past few years. Mental health clinicians work collaboratively with school based therapists in schools to provide intervention strategies to increase academic success and improve graduation rates, provide crisis intervention, and assist students in developing appropriate social interaction skills. Mental health clinicians and school based therapists also work diligently to serve students and families.

    Mental Health Services

    The Mental Health Services within Student Support Services for Gaston County Schools continues to expand services and supports for students. Many children and adults every year are affected by mental illness. Mental illness is a medical condition that affects a person’s daily functioning. It does not discriminate and affects all races, cultures, and income levels.

    Gaston County Schools currently employs two mental health clinicians to complete observations, attend Child and Family Team meetings, transition meetings, and to provide consultations and referrals for students currently experiencing mental health issues. In addition, Gaston County Schools has partnered with five local mental health agencies to provide school based therapy services to students. Gaston County Schools mental health clinicians are available to offer support and to help families navigate through the mental health system.

    NEED HELP accessing mental health services? Call Partners Behavioral Health Management Access to Care Line serving several counties to include Gaston County residents at 1-888-235-HOPE (4673) TTY: 1-800-749-6099 24 HOURS A DAY/7 DAYS PER WEEK/365 DAYS PER YEAR. The hotline is available to assist with crisis assistance and referrals for outpatient and inpatient services for mental health, substance abuse, and intellectual/developmental disabilities. If you have concerns about your child please feel free to speak with the school counselor or social worker. If your child is not receiving mental health therapy services already a referral for school based therapy may be an option. School based therapy and assessment will be completed at school. If interested please discuss with school counselor and/or social worker.