How to Enroll
Registration InformationStudents are assigned to schools based on the location of their residence. Beginning students should register at their prospective schools. When entering the Gaston County school system from other districts, parents may contact the Student Assignment Office located at the former Forest Heights Elementary School, #1 Learning Place, Gastonia (704-810-7284) for assignment to a school. All new students entering Gaston County Schools for the first time should provide:
*Valid ID of parent/guardian registering child: North Carolina law requires that a biological parent, court ordered legal guardian/custodian (court document required), or Department of Social Services (DSS) placement representative (kinship paperwork required) should present a child for school enrollment (this excludes stepparents.) Persons registering a child for kindergarten should be prepared to present a valid ID and/or required legal documentation at registration.
- Child’s certified birth certificate/proof of age
- Valid ID of parent/guardian registering child*
- Two proofs of residence documents (power, water, gas, cable, landline telephone, rent or mortgage bill) or Residence Affidavit**
- Immunization record and health assessment for first-time enrollment in North Carolina public schools
**Residence Affidavit: If the parent/guardian of child does not have any “proof of residence” bills in his/her name and lives with others, a Residence Affidavit must be obtained at registration. The following is required to obtain a Residence Affidavit:
- Child’s parent/guardian must be present and have his/her valid ID
- The person a child’s family resides with and who has “proof of residence” bills in his/her name must be present and have his/her valid ID
- Two current “proof of residence” bills (power, water, gas, cable, landline telephone, rent or mortgage)
- Residence Affidavits may be obtained at the registration site. Please bring all required documents and persons involved must be present.