How to Enroll

  • Registration Information 
    Students are assigned to schools based on the location of their residence.  Beginning students should register at their prospective schools.  When entering the Gaston County school system from other districts, parents may contact the Student Assignment Office located at the former Forest Heights Elementary School, #1 Learning Place, Gastonia (704-810-7284) for assignment to a school.  All new students entering Gaston County Schools for the first time should provide:
    • Child’s birth certificate or proof of age/birth date
    • Valid ID of parent/guardian registering child*
    • Two current proofs of residence documents within 30 days (power, water, gas, cable, landline telephone, rent or mortgage bill) or Residence Affidavit**
    • Immunization record and health assessment for first-time enrollment in North Carolina public schools

    *Valid ID of parent/guardian registering child: North Carolina law requires that a biological parent, court ordered legal guardian/custodian (court document required), or Department of Social Services (DSS) placement representative (kinship paperwork required) should present a child for school enrollment (this excludes stepparents.) Persons registering a child for kindergarten should be prepared to present a valid ID and/or required legal documentation at registration.

    "No proof of Residence"
    If you do not have proof of residence documents in your name, please contact the office of Student Assignment 704-810-7284.